This is a food post. Not a philosophical look at turkey day.
You can breathe now.
Once upon a time Thanksgiving was my favorite holiday. Then last year came and screwed that up. Our annual treks to the mountains and getting a tree ended. I didn’t realize it was ending for good until my husband changed careers.
So now I’m on the look out for a new favorite holiday and I’m trying to decide –
Do I cook or don’t I cook.
I have two options on the table:
- Cracker Barrel.
I am not going to lie to you. I could live off Cracker Barrel every day of the year. I love that place. Maybe it’s because I’m getting older (bahahahhah) you know my aunt and uncle and everyone in their age group cannot get enough of that place so maybe I am on to something?
Here’s the deal they have the best freaking turkey and dressing and sides and biscuits – have you had their damn biscuits? Those things are pillows of heaven.
If I want I can order from CB for Thanksgiving. Here’s the low down:
That’s option number one. It’s a heat and serve style meal. They cook it I heat it. I’m feeding four not forty so um…oh and it’s $110.00
And there’s option number two. It feeds six (I think.) It’s $67.99
The pros to either of these – 1. I don’t cook. 2. I don’t have really anything to clean up.
The cons – 1. The cost of this????
Option two is that I do cook.
In all my life I have never cooked a turkey. My mom can make a great one in a crock pot. I guess I could try that?
I could do up the sides…
My kids must have mac and cheese – I could actually take the time to make the real kind (move over Kraft). I could also fix up a mess of green beans and collard greens. I’m sure my husband would want mashed potatoes. And if I was feeling extra lovely I would make hash-brown casserole.
Right now as I type this up and I’m doing the math to see if I’m spending more at Food Lion to make my own meal…
Yep, that’s me looking at the parking lot at Food Lion….
Then there is dessert. I think I need to bring this classic back to life:
Now let’s add in the other weight to the scale…
- If I order from CB then that means I have to (get to?) leave the house and pick it up on Turkey Day. That means I cannot stay in my pajamas/sweats all day. I will have to put on my face because one simply cannot go to the Cracker Barrel on a holiday in sweats, messed up hair, and without foundation – that is a sin against the country.
- If I make the food at home I will drive a mere five minutes to the store the day before the blessed event. I will still need to look presentable but it’s way more do-able the day before since you know…I go to work.
- Let’s just be real my grocery bill will probably be $70. And I will have leftovers.
- I will be cleaning my kitchen on Thanksgiving if I cook. Oh what the hell? I am cleaning my kitchen every day anyway.
- I have all day to cook because we won’t get to eat as a family until the evening.
- Cracker Barrel doesn’t serve Cabernet
Well number six helped me decide!
So guys, what’s your Thanksgiving deal? Do you cook? Do you travel? Do you eat Chinese? Spill it!