No that isn’t a typo that’s a fabulous word that is Danish and means – Live simply.
It is the motto for 2017 for design (or so I have been told). This year the cool kids are doing the following in their homes and some of these I may be guilty of as well!
This week on the blog I’m kicking off a week of projects. On Sunday I was highlighted over at the fabulous blog The Freckled Rose. Angie, who operates the blog, has some fabulous posts on the things I personally love – DIY and gardening! She shared my post, It’s a Bench, this week. I highly suggest you visit her blog and see all the other wonderful posts she highlighted as well.
January is a month of purge and renew for a lot of us. This month I have purged and now the husband and I are working on refreshing our home. We’re eliminating some old projects and making the move to a more simplified look. This week on the blog I’m dubbing as Project Week. From our home to our selves – we are all working on something!
As I was prepping for this post I decided to share the top trends I ran across for 2017 while I was researching. Some of these I am ALL about others -meh.
- Hygge- Less is more and more is lived in. Mamas and busy women of the world this is good news! That purge you did last week was step one! Now if you think your home seems a little barren – leave it be!!! Does that blanket that is not folded drive you crazy? Leave it be! Are your pillows scattered about? Then just throw them on the couch – haphazardly! Let the books and mags hang out on the table opened to the last page you read. (But put the dirty dishware in the dishwasher or sink.)
- Marble wallpaper – Not for me. But for you? I like the idea of wallpaper but flashback to 2008 when I was removing it and I get sick to my stomach. Small spaces, go for it! Large spaces, I’m checking out.
- Plants – Ahhh hello, Dolly! I love plants and planting and all that good stuff. This year, bring the outside in with indoor plants and climbing plants. Succulents are kind of on the outs right now but you should still love those air heads!
- Copper – I like this. I like copper a lot and my love affair with it began in October. Copper is a stately metal if you ask this girl. It is also old to me. I like old metal. I am not sure if copper will stand the test of the trend time though so maybe do a few little copper pieces here and there.
- Blue – The color of the year is a green grass color (Pantone) but everyone else seems to be saying the true color of the year is darker blues. I like both so yay for me! Blue is just calming and earthy and lovely.
- Acrylic decor – No not for me. I’m not into Ikea. Sorry. No.
- Wood tile – I can get on board with this one. I have always loved wood tile its beautiful and pretty resilient. I feel like more of the 2017 new homes will take advantage of this awesome take on tile. Take it away!
- Farmhouse – Cue Chip & Joanna. I’m beginning to ease away from the full on farmhouse idea. I think it is becoming a bit over used (personally). Go ahead if it’s your current dream but if it is something you turn your head from – let’s get some coffee.
- Heated floors – Yeah sign me up and just tell me who will pay for it because obviously I am not. I need them though! Our floors are FREEZING in the winter even if it is 70 degrees out! I do think my dog would object to heated floors.
So sweeties, what are you thinking? Which of these would you add and what would you subtract from your home in 2017? I’m curious!